Wednesday, January 19, 2011

the blank page -- Part Deux

I'm sure you're all waiting with bated breath to hear how my battle with the blank page went.
Heh heh. :)

I did force myself to buckle down and write some new pages. It was tough going though. I was thinking about wimping out and stopping when...
my laptop died. (Apparently the hard drive is toast, but that's a story for another day.)
I'm a pantster so it was still a good session; before that I hadn't known what was going to happen in that chapter, and after that I did.

The next day I also forced myself to face the blank page. I basically had to rewrite from scratch the lost chapter. But it went much better! I was in the zone. I even thought of a new and better idea to start the chapter with. Now I just have to figure out what happens in the next chapter...

It reminded me of what erotica/fantasy/SF author and Spec Fic editor Betsy Dornbusch said the other day about drafting: "But something about drafting, whether it's a synopsis or a story... it's the only action that satisfies my addiction to words. New words.

Oh yeah... We're writers.

How about you? Any writerly tales of woe? Of triumph?
If you're keeping score, writing new pages for a chapter is definitely a triumph. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment