- writing can't be taught
- people are born creative or uncreative
- creative writing is something done by a few geniuses
- writers are subject to the whims of an "Ah-ha!"-like moment of inspiration
- good writing proceeds inevitably from good ideas
- good writers compose nearly perfect drafts often at a single sitting
- writing is a rather magical, solitary occupation
- writers are more interesting than other people
For the most part, these myths do NOT help writers. They can actually interfere with our creativity.
How about you? Have you ever believed any of these ideas?