Monday, March 14, 2011

Writing Affirmations

Perhaps as a reaction to, or against, the myths I mentioned last time, the Amherst Writers & Artists have Five Essential Writing Affirmations:
  1. Everyone has a strong, unique voice.
  2. Everyone is born with creative genius.
  3. Writing as an art form belongs to all people, regardless of economic class
    or educational level.
  4. The teaching of craft can be done without damage to a writer's original
    voice or artistic self-esteem.
  5. A writer is someone who writes.

What do you think? Agree? Disagree? I think these affirmations can only help us become better writers! :)

3 comments:

  1. Definitely agree. Especially with #5 ... It's so important to actually sit down and get those words on paper. There's nothing like experience, and we learn from each page written, always improving our craft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find 4 interesting. I think a lot of craft suffers for voice. For me it's been a process of breaking down my original voice with learning craft and rebuilding it on a better foundation (I hope, I think.)

    I liken it to bootcamp, where the army takes people with great potential and remakes them into great soldiers. That's the theory, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, Joanne!
    I agree with you, too, sex!

    ReplyDelete