Friday, August 19, 2011

New Writers' Workshop

I started a new writers' workshop this week. The first session (before actual critique) is always a little--I don't know. People talk about their writing. I guess it's odd. Everyone is so subjective about their own work. Many writers (often women) denigrate their own efforts. :( At the other end of the spectrum, there's a fine line between being confident and bragging. In the interests of full disclosure I would be the one skirting bragging.

This time the workshop leader is probably the most accomplished writer I've had as a leader. So, I'm optimistic. I'll let you know how it goes.

Writers' workshops aren't the same for me since I read The Writing Class a novel by Jincy Willett last semester. This novel is a surprisingly spot-on description of the Writing Workshop experience...until the bodies start piling up! (Cue evil laugh.)

Obviously, I don't think anything like that will happen to us. :)

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more!

How about you? Any good or bad workshop experiences or tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment